Monday, June 23, 2008

Kinky boots

I saw a nice movie last night- Kinky Boots. A nice little film, which I managed to relate back to my ad world.
The fella in the movie had to come to grips with his family's shoe factory going down the toilet. His dad, when still alive, had known this and kept on making shitty shoes to try and ignore that fact.
The son realised that to stay afloat, he would have to stop being complacent and change the product to roll with the times.
So he started making shoes that could handle the weight and motion of transvestites. That was the way he changed to meet the needs of the market.


Clever. Even based on a true story.


Now to really bring it back to reality
The ad game has changed. No more "is changing". Change has happened. People expect more they don't give a rat's about ads, they expect a brand to go above and beyond the status quo.
The only people who are still stuck in the old way are marketers and advertisers. I really think they just want to stay in la la land and ignore what's going on. It's easier doing what you know.

Of course answering to the change is scary, it's full of risk and there is no precedent. But it's better to attempt to change instead of carrying out the same old motions. And bloody hell, it's so much more fun!

I've worked at a few big agencies- they make these little 'departments' which are the custodians for all the 'new' and the 'change'. But it's all BS. It's just a front. A front to make the client happy that someone has shit under control. It's all talk and no action and made me want to slit my wrists every day that I went into the office.

It's so much nicer to know that I'm putting my money where my mouth is. So much nicer to know that I'm going with the flow instead of slamming my head against a brick wall every time I open my mouth.

No comments: