Monday, December 3, 2007

Facebook: The Media whore

I'm only blogging about Facebook, because there is nothing else in the news. I feel if I don't blog I'll lose my momentum. Such pressure.


Facebook Turnaround On Privacy Could Signal Wave of Change
by Wendy Davis
Facebook's U-turn late last week on publishing information about members' purchases could mark the beginning of a wave of changes to online ad techniques. European regulators are expected to announce on Tuesday the commencement of a two-year investigation into online advertising and privacy, with a focus on behavioral targeting, or sending ads to people based on their Web-surfing activity and presumed interests.

Hmmm...
I don't know about a 'wave of change', more of recognition by the advertising population that consumers are people and have rights. It is the right way to go.
I'm still seething a little bit from David Levy's comments the other day that "marketers don't want" less ads on TV. Who cares?! If all that's available is fewer ads at higher cost then that is all that they have to choose from.
It will actually turn out that everyone wins. Consumers have less ads, so they are less pissed off and they'll actually enjoy the less is more type scenario. Networks still make just as much cash as they did before and marketers win because more people watch their ads.
I maybe being a little too idealistic, but more freedom actually seems to create more advocacy.

No comments: